What is Personal Injury Law?
Unlike in criminal law, personal injury law does not involve a government prosecuting someone who has been accused of a crime. Instead, personal injury lawsuits are brought by an individual or business in order to attain compensation from the party who has caused them harm.
Compensation is usually monetary and often referred to as “damages.” The most commonly awarded compensation is for costs related to medical treatment, lost wages, loss of property, and pain and suffering (including emotional distress). Punitive damages, which are provided in cases of egregious wrongdoing, are very different from compensatory damages. While compensatory damages are intended to make the person “whole again,” punitive damages truly are a form of punishment.
Personal injury law is based largely on the concept of “negligence,” which is a failure to exercise the same level of care that a prudent individual would have exercised under the same circumstances. Negligence can consist either of actions (such as causing a car accident) or a failure to act in a scenario where there is some duty to do so (such as a doctor failing to inform a patient of significant treatment risks).
Rhoads & Rhoads has been protecting the rights of the injured throughout Western Kentucky for over 39 years. If you or a loved one have been injured, our team of experienced trial attorneys and knowledgeable support staff are available to help you through this difficult time and get you the financial recovery you deserve.
Rhoads & Rhoads: A Comprehensive Personal Injury Practice
For more than three decades, Rhoads & Rhoads has been helping families in West Kentucky cope financially after a serious injury has impacted their life. Our experience is extensive, and we handle all types of accident cases, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Whether your injury has resulted from a car accident or you are dealing with catastrophic injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident or truck accident, our experienced attorneys are here to help you get the compensation that you deserve.
- Brain injuries: Traumatic brain injuries can be a result of a car crash, a slip-and-fall accident, defective drugs or medicines, an industrial accident, or any of a number of other terrible accidents that can occur each day. If you or a member of your family are experiencing the life-altering effects of a brain injury, our experienced attorneys can ease your burdens by ensuring you are appropriately compensated.
- Product liability: Manufacturers of products have a duty to make sure they are safe for consumers. If you or a loved one has been injured because of a dangerous or unsafe product, such as defective drugs or medicines, medical devices, toys, or machinery, Rhoads & Rhoads attorneys can help.
- Nursing home negligence: Your elderly loved ones have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. If their care facility is neglecting or mistreating them, our attorneys can help set things straight, exposing the facility’s negligence and getting your loved one compensation for their injuries.
- Premises liability: If you have been injured on someone else’s property, you deserve compensation for your injuries. Examples of premises liability would include slip-and-fall cases, dog bites, and assault due to lack of security at an event.
- Social Security Disability: It can be difficult to provide for yourself and your family if you are or become disabled for any reason. Our Social Security Disability lawyers will walk you through this confusing and frustrating process and will fight on your behalf if your initial disability claim is denied.
- Construction and industrial accidents: Construction and industrial sites are often dangerous work environments. If you have been injured on a construction site or working with industrial machinery, our attorneys can help you, whether you are filing for workers’ compensation benefits or a third-party lawsuit.
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice has occurred when a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional has acted in a way that directly causes injury OR when those same professionals have caused injury by their failure to act in some way. A finding of medical negligence requires a failure to provide the same standard of care as would be provided by similar medical professionals under the same or similar circumstances.
- Wrongful death: Tragically, serious accidents sometimes result in death. When this happens, the family has a right to justice on behalf of their loved one. Wrongful death cases can ensure the victim’s family does not suffer financially while grieving the loss of a loved one. Our experienced wrongful death attorneys can help family members or executors to recover costs for funeral and burial expenses, pre-death medical care, loss of the victim’s financial contribution, loss of the victim’s services and support, loss of the victim’s companionship, and emotional distress of surviving family members.
Owensboro and Madisonville Personal Injury Lawyers — No Recovery, No Fee
With offices in Owensboro and Madisonville, Rhoads & Rhoads represents the seriously injured throughout Western Kentucky. We offer free initial consultations, and all cases are taken on a contingency fee basis, which mean there is no payment required up front. We get paid only if we win or settle your case, so there is NO RISK involved. Call us at 888-709-9329 or contact us by e-mail to schedule an appointment with one of our Madisonville or Owensboro personal injury attorneys.